Facts about recycling life
You have the power to save and enhance other people's lives through organ, cornea and tissue donation. All it takes is registering by signing up online or by going to your local DMV. Be sure to tell your family and friends about your decision to be a registered donor and save lives!
Check out these astounding facts about organ, eye, and tissue donation:
- Over 117,000 men, women and children are waiting for an internal organ transplant in the United States.
- 18 people die every day waiting for a transplant.
- 56% of the waiting list is made up of African, Hispanic, Asian and Native Americans.
- A single organ donor can save the lives of up to eight people.
- Organ donation is very rare - less than .03% of deaths result in organ donation.
- A single tissue donor can enhance the lives of more than 50 people – yes, 50!
- Over 46,000 corneal transplants occur in the United States every year – it’s the most common type of transplant.
- Most people think they know about donation due to sensational stories in TV, movies and the news. Unfortunately, many people confuse fiction with fact, and sadly choose not to register because of these myths and misconceptions.
- Visit our FAQ section and blog for the facts about donation and transplantation.
Recycle yourself and become a registered organ donor today!